Author Topic: How did you find adapting to the new way of things?  (Read 188 times)

Offline cully4299

How did you find adapting to the new way of things?
« on: July 02, 2020, 11:26:05 PM »
How did you find adapting to the new way of things? And what would you like carried on in the future after this is 'over'

:o

Online Belfast_Tech

• Technician
  • Board Veteran
  • Speciality: ICT Technician (T3)
Re: How did you find adapting to the new way of things?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 11:13:10 AM »
Work wise I've actually found it ok!  I was kept nice and busy with support requests from the start of lockdown right through to the end of term, so that helped keep some sort of routine.  I found working remotely absolutely fine and now that summer has came round (hard to believe!) I'm now back on site more and more to get things ready. 

I must state no one has asked me to be on site, but if I didn't come in to do it (Apple TV updates, projector cleaning, equipment moves / tidy up etc) then this work would still be sitting needing done during the September mad rush - so for my own peace of mind it's being done now.  Although right now a lot (read: most) of the other non-teaching staff are also working from home... but not actually been given any work, so read between those lines  :-X

I've split my workload into 2 lists - things that can be done from home, things that can be done on site so a nice mix this summer I think.

For the future I'd love more and more to go electronic based.  I'm really pushing now for BYOD next year, especially for the seniors as C2K Wireless is now satisfactory enough to allow for this.  Also the more meetings via teams the better - a far better communication method.

On a personal level lock down has been great to chill out and re-appreciate the small things again!  I've no interest in rushing out to a pub or restaurant, but would do anything to see family properly again!  Hopefully going right direction anyway.

Offline cully4299

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 02:41:21 PM »
Work wise I've actually found it ok!  I was kept nice and busy with support requests from the start of lockdown right through to the end of term, so that helped keep some sort of routine.  I found working remotely absolutely fine and now that summer has came round (hard to believe!) I'm now back on site more and more to get things ready. 

I must state no one has asked me to be on site, but if I didn't come in to do it (Apple TV updates, projector cleaning, equipment moves / tidy up etc) then this work would still be sitting needing done during the September mad rush - so for my own peace of mind it's being done now.  Although right now a lot (read: most) of the other non-teaching staff are also working from home... but not actually been given any work, so read between those lines  :-X

I've split my workload into 2 lists - things that can be done from home, things that can be done on site so a nice mix this summer I think.

For the future I'd love more and more to go electronic based.  I'm really pushing now for BYOD next year, especially for the seniors as C2K Wireless is now satisfactory enough to allow for this.  Also the more meetings via teams the better - a far better communication method.

On a personal level lock down has been great to chill out and re-appreciate the small things again!  I've no interest in rushing out to a pub or restaurant, but would do anything to see family properly again!  Hopefully going right direction anyway.

Seen this and forgot to reply.

My work load hasn't been too bad either. Was in 3/4 days a week for the last 10 sorting out various things for aug/sept as you say if it wasn't done it would be a mad rush
off for the summer atm thanks to term time but may be in over the summer for a bit to sort other things out as i have been asked by the powers above to.

Were in phase 1 of the BT thing so be nice to get an upgrade as running on the 10 line   :o :o Be a nice upgrade as the WiFi sometimes can be really bad.

At home now just playing games and sorting out my setup and seeing what i can do over the summer with the current madness but it wont be long till were back

(Also did you get reply to the Pm the other day?)

Offline Gerard

• Board Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 11:11:53 AM »
Contimplating quitting work and signing on the bru :)   -at  start of lock down  I was flat out, mainly password issues and general assisting staff and students rapidly learn and use teams.

things died down towards end of term and since then i went in to holiday mode - hardly looked at emails started back on site yesterday and felt like lying in the corner sucking my thumb lol

not sure what lies ahead but dreading the work load of blended on site and home learning
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 11:19:21 AM by Gerard »