Author Topic: Safe and Sanitised Stations  (Read 141 times)

Telone, dfinney and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Renegade

Safe and Sanitised Stations
« on: June 16, 2020, 01:38:15 PM »
Hi.

Just a quick post to ask how everyone is planning to tackle the cleaning of keyboards and computers come the return of the kids... or part of them anyway.

I've had a call from a past life when a user was using hand moisturiser and it started to rub the lettering off the keys.  Now that we're looking at using proper medical foam for hands, I'm not sure logging calls for replacement keyboards every week will sit well  :)

Is anyone planning to use another method to keep things clean?

Thanks.

Online cully4299

Re: Safe and Sanitised Stations
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 10:36:36 PM »
Tbh not even sure atm. They're just wiped with some cleaner for the staff that are in. With distancing we only have 8/10 PCs per room so not much will be going on.

Offline Renegade

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 09:54:06 AM »
Thanks Cully.

We've ordered in x amount of Cutisan bottles and the same for disinfectant wipes.  The trouble will be the return of some pupils in August/September?  These could run out fairly quickly.

I've emailed Intel to ask them for the golden dust suit from their advert.  Only a certain generation will get this, lol

Online cully4299

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 01:29:31 PM »
It'll run out quick but it'll be soemthing they need to do.
Apparently our computer rooms won't be open the first term.

So will only be teacher machines which they can deal with themselves and any iPads etc that are used which are easy enough to clean.

Offline Renegade

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 09:18:08 AM »
We think we've ordered enough to see us to at least Halloween.  Kids will clean the computer whenever they come in so that it's in their interests to do it.
Teachers move to the class rather than the other way round.  Teachers will have same cleaning routine.
I think we'll be well enough prepped and versed how it "should" work, but the prove will be in September.

Online Belfast_Tech

• Technician
  • Board Veteran
  • Speciality: ICT Technician (T3)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 09:23:20 AM »
I'm thinking of trying to find isopropyl alcohol solution, then putting it into a spray bottle and spraying the keyboards + mice each afternoon in the computer labs, but then again who knows will these actually be able to be used?  Whilst isopropyl alcohol is ok for electronics etc, I wonder if it would leave a sticky residue if mist sprayed over and just left.

Staff are being provided with some sort of wipes and will look after their own devices.... 

What wipes etc is everyone going for?  They need to be wipes containing alcohol to have any effect apparently.

I've just noticed how much I have typed alcohol and it's not even 9.30 lol!

Online dfinney

• Technicians
  • Board Veteran
    • Wallace high school
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 11:57:47 AM »
Belfast_tech, i would say the letters/numbers wouldn't last too long.

Also it is highly flammable with no visible flame. Our maintenance manager set a small amount on fire on a kitchen counter and the only way you could see the flame was holding tissue over it and setting it on fire, there was only a slight heat shimmer.
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."

Online Belfast_Tech

• Technician
  • Board Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 12:16:40 PM »
Belfast_tech, i would say the letters/numbers wouldn't last too long.

Also it is highly flammable with no visible flame. Our maintenance manager set a small amount on fire on a kitchen counter and the only way you could see the flame was holding tissue over it and setting it on fire, there was only a slight heat shimmer.

Oops - Maybe a change of plan required then!  Thanks!

Online dfinney

• Technicians
  • Board Veteran
    • Wallace high school
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 12:53:57 PM »
Small amounts should evaporate quickly with no residue, but i wouldn't take the chance unless the school has instructed you to use it.

We are looking at having sandwich gloves available if pupils want to use them. But they must sanitise their hands before and after using the keyboards anyway.

There is only so much you can do.

Contact Norman West, he will advise you. http://www.omakwestbros.co.uk/

Online Belfast_Tech

• Technician
  • Board Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 01:20:28 PM »
I've advised for wall mounted sanitiser dispensers at the entrance to all computer suites.  Then I loved the idea of having plastic sandwich gloves available, so have passed that forward too.  (Thanks for that!)

Teachers will be supplied with wipes for their computers, I won't be needing to touch them!

Online dfinney

• Technicians
  • Board Veteran
    • Wallace high school
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:48:21 PM »
We have about 20 stations wall mounted in the school.

The cleaner that we use is called Dyma Trio, it can be used on keyboards as its soap based.

Only issue with the gloves is your hands sweat like crazy.

Online cully4299

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:21:41 PM »
We have about 20 stations wall mounted in the school.

The cleaner that we use is called Dyma Trio, it can be used on keyboards as its soap based.

Only issue with the gloves is your hands sweat like crazy.

Think we have the older ones from swine flu era but theyre harder to get hold of the bags that fit them :/