Author Topic: Covid19 Panic, Time off and working from home  (Read 515 times)

Online cully4299

Covid19 Panic, Time off and working from home
« on: March 12, 2020, 01:53:42 PM »
Whats your view on all this?

sit for 2 weeks at home and remote reset passwords xD

Offline Stephen

• Board Veteran
    • Banbridge Academy Online
  • Speciality: Black Neck sixth Dan - No Kan Do
Re: Covid19 Panic, Time off and working from home
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 12:24:58 PM »
Who said staff get time off - could be just the pupils.
One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.
Carl Jung

Online Outlaw27

• Board Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 02:23:27 PM »
Who said staff get time off - could be just the pupils.
Could be right Stephen just pupils and teachers

Offline Stephen

• Board Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 02:32:36 PM »
No teachers are always saying they do not have enough time to catch up with all the red tape - so how does 2 weeks sound with no pupils??
One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.
Carl Jung

Online zyber

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 02:40:15 PM »
If they close the schools then I would imagine everyone is out and they lock the doors.

zyber

Offline Stephen

• Board Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 03:05:18 PM »
We know that headmasters are seeking advice on this but to date have not got an answer from the relevant agencies. It is whatever HSE says goes, that seems to be the main school policy.
Carl Jung

Offline ssmith

• TecHKnow
  • Speciality: Science
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 06:50:02 PM »
At time of post, I don't think anybody know what is happening because any decision permission to close (or indeed anything else) must come from the Department of Education and/ Stormount. Neither have not made any decision yet. This is largely dues  to the Public Health Authority in Northern ireland who have decided, that at this time it is not in the public interest for Schools to Close. This may change in the short term future (suggested inside three weeks) because either students will vote with their feet, or parents will keep their Children off out of fear of catching the virus or perhaps political pressure might change things. No Principal or Head teacher will close their School unless they get this permission from Dept Education. We have a Staff meeting on Monday morning (16/3) where we may get some more information.

We are about eight weeks out from this peak of virus and so It is almost certain we will be told to close down at or before this point. Which is where Public health wants us to be, when these decisions are finally made

Regardless, if your School officially closes, then its all out. This is because non-teaching staff are equally capable of contracting the CorVid-19 Virus like anybody else. So they can come in and spread the (viral) love around everybody else plus contaminate computers or any thing else really.

Now the hard part here is what happens to you. In short, your principal/line manager can ask you to do anything reasonable at home during your contracted hours. This could be C2k related or non C2k related. You might be extremely lucky and get what could be 2/3 or 4 weeks holiday and not have to do anything - but I believe in Santa Claus just like everybody else does.

My Line manager and I have already discussed what I will be doing. This will be general typing duties of topic tests/worksheets. Though I am hoping that in her excitement to get out the door quickly she will forget to finalise what she wants me to do or leeave it to my own discretion. A lovely position to be in. She simply wants to get out now!!

As a Senior Technician, I will not dump any work onto my Technicians. Instead i will tell them to "Do something educational and constructive" whatever they choose to do. Why should I screw up their lives.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:22:02 AM by ssmith »
TecHKnow - A News and information website for laboratory technicians http://www.techknow.org.uk (Now updated and improved)

Online Outlaw27

• Board Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 09:18:31 PM »
No teachers are always saying they do not have enough time to catch up with all the red tape - so how does 2 weeks sound with no pupils??
More like 16 weeks according to Arlene

Offline Stephen

• Board Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 09:51:30 AM »
My Line manager and I have already discussed what I will be doing. This will be general typing duties of topic tests/worksheets.

Why are you typing tests/worksheets - that is not your job, typing tests and worksheets is the teachers responsibility. Certainly it could be argued that people could send you them to put on website/ google but then they should be using google classroom for that, although not all schools have used teacher training days to familiar staff with google.

You should make sure that everyone has changed their password in the last week so that no-one ends up with their password expiring. All our teachers here have set up google classroom for students with worksheets etc in them. When the call comes all they have to do is send the class codes to the different years.

I agree with you that non teaching staff, if called in could bring in the virus and cause a deep clean but Headmasters may be told we can be called in and if so it is their decision.
Carl Jung

Online Belfast_Tech

• Technician
  • Board Veteran
  • Speciality: ICT Technician (T3)
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 11:46:30 AM »
From my workload at present I suspect it will be business as usual, or indeed maybe even ramped up a notch!

I will be mighty annoyed though if I am working from home and other staff get to take it as x amount of weeks paid holiday though where they don't do any contact with school whatsoever.

On that basis - I'm hoping the school remains open to staff throughout.

Online Outlaw27

• Board Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 02:14:05 PM »
Yes would prefer to come in.  If school is closed I will not be taking it as annual leave.

Online cully4299

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 12:24:57 PM »
Were now closed atm for a deep clean.  All Ive been doing is editing google classrooms and various other bits at home . Hopefully be allowed in after a while as too much needs done inside

Offline Stephen

• Board Veteran
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2020, 01:51:36 PM »
We have been told staff will be in when the schools are shut, given that Scotland and Wales will be shutting from fri I have to assume so will we.

The head said teachers can work flexible but I think non teaching will be told come in as normal.
Carl Jung

Online cully4299

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 06:10:04 PM »
We have been told staff will be in when the schools are shut, given that Scotland and Wales will be shutting from fri I have to assume so will we.

The head said teachers can work flexible but I think non teaching will be told come in as normal.

Hopefully same here. Be a mess next year if not

Online Outlaw27

• Board Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 07:20:37 PM »
We have been told when school closed there will be no one in