Author Topic: Neverware Option  (Read 3148 times)

Online newbie123

Neverware Option
« on: November 25, 2019, 10:49:18 AM »
Hi Everyone,

What is your experiences with the neverware option for retaining windows 7 devices?

I think we are going to have to go down that route here in January and was wondering what can/cant be accessed?

Thanks in advance.

Offline waylander

• Technicians
Re: Neverware Option
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 10:58:33 AM »
In the same boat with regards to having to go down this route ourselves in January.

Spoke to Roy Louden last week about this, basically you'll have access to Google Docs, Drive etc or Office 365 (if you have signed up for it) and web browsing.

If you are looking to replace Teacher workstations or Admin who require access to SIMS you will have to either redeploy or buy new.

I forgot to ask him about printing from Neverware.

I specifically made the point of asking who would be doing the Neverware installs - if a Capita Engineer would be available or if it would be down to the school.
 Was told the each school would be given a single USB drive with the Neverware build and left to it, similar to the Windows 10 deployment..
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 11:05:40 AM by waylander »
I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly.

Better to be a geek than an idiot!

Online Outlaw27

• Board Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 02:00:09 PM »
Does this solution not just turn the pc into a glorified Chrome Book?

Online newbie123

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 02:02:37 PM »
Thanks for your reply, that gives me a better understanding.  Not ideal but its the best option for us.

We have a few teacher workstations so going to have to rearrange.

Online LOUD

• Board Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
We have been sitting and waiting for this neverware solution since last April/May.  I wanted to have them all converted over during the summer. 

Don't like doing this in the middle of a school year as it will confuse teachers and students.  At least i know now what the process is going to be. 

Looks like the contract is heading towards more work for us technicians.  Since win 10 upgrade deployment fell our direction and now neverware i wonder what is next.

Is this the future?  Not that i mind.

Online Outlaw27

• Board Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 09:26:42 AM »
We have been sitting and waiting for this neverware solution since last April/May.  I wanted to have them all converted over during the summer. 

Don't like doing this in the middle of a school year as it will confuse teachers and students.  At least i know now what the process is going to be. 

Looks like the contract is heading towards more work for us technicians.  Since win 10 upgrade deployment fell our direction and now neverware i wonder what is next.

Is this the future?  Not that i mind.

And C2k told principals way back in 2000 that when C2k arrived they would not need a ICT technician

Offline waylander

• Technicians
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »

Been reading up on the Neverware installs.. not only will each device have to be built from USB, but the BIOS has to be updated to the latest version as well.
 Wonder who'll get that job!

Online cully4299

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 03:03:16 PM »
Never bothered with NeverWare as they couldn't tell us if printing was going to be available or not.

Offline zyber

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 10:49:34 AM »
Neverware site states that it is a chromebook operating system. Capita are saying that only cabled option at the minute. There is some info in their catalogue but the usual vague details. Probably will not know what it is like until you buy it.

zyber

Offline waylander

• Technicians
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 12:18:27 PM »
Never bothered with NeverWare as they couldn't tell us if printing was going to be available or not.

Response from Roy Louden when i queried the printing
 "No, not initially. We’re currently working on developing this ability."

Online LOUD

• Board Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 12:23:43 PM »
If you have the wireless print solution provided by Capita then these devices will have print facilities - so i have been told.

Also told from Capita that an engineer will be on site to do the installs. 
There is a username and password required to allow the device to join the domain.  We wont be given the account details to do this.  They hope to look at a way around this in the future.

No install time yet though.

Offline Renegade

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 11:10:32 AM »
Depending on your conscience, you can create the Cr@pita usb pen for Neverware for free using the home option.  If you have bought wireless printing and had it setup, then you can print from these the same as Chromebooks.

https://guide.neverware.com/build-installer/automatic-usb-maker/

Offline deeboorman

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2020, 12:55:08 PM »
Does anybody know what is happening with these machines? I came into work last tuesday expecting 84 computers to be paperweights

Offline Renegade

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 02:38:22 PM »
If they're Win7 and you haven't coughed up the cash to have the Neverware installed, at some point they will just stop allowing people to log on.  No warning.  It will just randomly happen. That's the corpita way.