Author Topic: Xserve and the unused ethernet port  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Stephen

• Board Veteran
    • Banbridge Academy Online
  • Speciality: Black Neck sixth Dan - No Kan Do
Xserve and the unused ethernet port
« on: August 03, 2018, 08:43:48 AM »
I have noticed over the last couple of years our Mac network slowing down, possibly due to the increasing file sizes pupils are using (everything at full resolution!). Anyway I was thinking there are two ethernet ports on the back of a xserve and generally you only use one so why not utilise the second port. The problem then is how to separate data. Easy I thought I will stick everything through the normal port and VPN the Airports to the second port separating them out at switch port level that way then the "noisy" Apple TV's will be on the wireless VPN and everything else will be on the much quieter main network.

On thinking about this it probably will be better and easier just to stick the Airports on a separate subnet and put that tru the second ethernet port.

My main problem - never done this before - anyone know of a web reference to anything that will tell me the basics so I dont make too many mistakes?

On a separate note: A couple of years ago I bought a xserve on ebay from an office clearing firm (as a test machine). Mainly to try and set up a backup server as our xserve was getting old and the drives had never been changed (2008 models!). I had difficulty for one reason or another getting a drive to work with the machine, ok I was trying old drives and the xserve didnt like them. Recently I found drives that do work and believe it or not I am replacing two Seagate Cheetah 15K.5 ST373455SS Apple marked 73Gb drives that were in Raid 1 and formed the boot disk on the xserve with 2 Yucun 2.5 Inch SSD 240Gb drives, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077ZPQZYB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , at least until next month when I will buy standard wd 250Gb drives and try them. NOTE this took different drive caddy's. One caddy would work with a mechanical drive but not a SSD. Also before putting the drive in a caddy I attached it via a usb to SATA and used Disk Utility to format the disk for Mac use.

To copy the files I used Carbon Copy Cloner and made a disk image of the boot disk, while booted from it, to a NAS. I then removed one of the Raid drives, stuck the two new drives in, set them up as raid and restored the image to them. The things I do for a laugh!!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 11:42:22 AM by Stephen »
One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.
Carl Jung

Offline Stephen

• Board Veteran
    • Banbridge Academy Online
  • Speciality: Black Neck sixth Dan - No Kan Do
Re: Xserve and the unused ethernet port
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 12:15:10 PM »
Scrub what I said about the disk drives. Apple is not that simple. For example I got my test server to boot from one of the drives but will not boot from the other even if it is a clone or even if I switch caddies. Also when I took the drives to my active server it wouldn't boot from either even if I put the drives in the current caddies.

Mac Servers you just got to love them!!

At times I cant believe how simple some solutions are, I cleaned all connectors on the drive caddies with switch cleaner (they are about 10 years old after all). This included drive leads and the socket on the back of the caddy that connects to the computer. I pushed the caddy in and out a couple of times to hopefully clean the computer socket in the drive bay and the drives are now working! Hoorah! So I no longer have a drive dated 2008 as my system boot.

Note during this I used Carbon Copy Cloner to make disk images of the boot disk (which it can while the machine is booted from the disk), note when restoring the image to another drive it has to be a drive you did not boot from.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:03:24 AM by Stephen »
One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.
Carl Jung