Author Topic: Unable to get mac to connect to internet  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Ray

• Board Veteran
Unable to get mac to connect to internet
« on: July 23, 2009, 11:57:45 AM »
Hi all,
    I have a mac here with Mac OS X (v 10.4.7) on it. I would like to get it connected to the C2k internet connection. Here is what i done:

1) I took a legacy laptop (The one i am using to type this) to the room to test the datapoint and it works.

2) On the mac I set the IP address, Subnet mask, Default Gateway, DNS Server and proxy details to the exact same as the laptop.

3) I unpluged the LAN cable from the laptop and pluged it into the mac.

I then opened safari and it tells me that i am not connected to the internet, can anyone tell me what i am missing? I know its prob something simple.
While there is still a need for teachers, there will still be a need for us!

9 out of 10 voices in my head say "DONT SHOOT !!!!!"

Offline Stephen

• Board Veteran
    • Banbridge Academy Online
  • Speciality: Black Neck sixth Dan - No Kan Do
Re: Unable to get mac to connect to internet
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:07:24 PM »
You should not connect it to a c2k network but if you did it does not authenticate your username and password so set it network to go thru proxy4.school.c2kni.net port 8080.

apple-> System Preferences=> Network, Advanced button, proxies tab.
One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.
Carl Jung

Offline Ray

• Board Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:56:52 PM »
Hi Stephen,

I am not trying to connect it to the C2k network,

I am trying to use the C2k internet connection that is to be used for LEGACY networks to get it on the internet like for the legacy laptop that i was using.

And yes i did set set proxy4 in the proxies tab.

Offline Stephen

• Board Veteran
    • Banbridge Academy Online
  • Speciality: Black Neck sixth Dan - No Kan Do
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 02:06:14 PM »
Then I can't think of what is going wrong. That usually does it for me, I take it your laptop goes thru proxy4 as well and has the same settings. I would suggest seeing if you can download firefox for the mac (using the laptop). Install it on the mac and try with it at the least it is a way of checking the browser.
One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.
Carl Jung

Offline Ray

• Board Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 02:24:12 PM »
 :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I am having one of those "blond" days today everything i touch today seems to turn out wrong !!!!!!!!!!

I went back up to the room to check all settings again, i had a tick in the wrong box ! I had all the settings correct, IP, DNS, proxy etc but in the proxies tab i had a tick in the FTP Proxy box instead of the Web Proxy !!!

:oops:

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the help!!!!!