Author Topic: Build your own head tracker for about ?10  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Stephen

• Board Veteran
    • Banbridge Academy Online
  • Speciality: Black Neck sixth Dan - No Kan Do
Build your own head tracker for about ?10
« on: July 23, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »
This is also to do with Elite Dangerous, to see what I am talking about look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4hyMbHpl18
The website www.edtracker.org.uk give the list of parts, including a link to the whole lot in a bundle from hobby components (?8.99 incl TAX).
Edtracker site also has links to software required, PCB diagram (If you want to make one), drivers, instructions, etc, etc.
I am currently going to save up for a new PC to play Elite Dangerous on (I did play the original on the BBC model B in the 80's and I havent updated my PC in about ten years!), I have ordered the bundle but will print the PCB and try and get the technology technician to make me one.

Do have a look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iJJrk9wGj8 to see the features of the game. Note he uses a ?200 head tracking system.
One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.
Carl Jung

Offline Aaron

• Technicians
  • Board Veteran
    • Willis & Co
Re: Build your own head tracker for about ?10
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 12:57:47 PM »
that looks great

just wondering what would happen if you looked to far up does it mean your pointing your eyes way down to see the screen if you know what I mean. Although if you had 6 screens as he has 3 and it does seem to give allot smoother view its just the likes of a VR headset (ok much more expensive) means that your eyes arnt actually needing to move in order to see the screen because the screen is moving as you tilt your head.

hope this makes sense, but I do think its a great idea.

Offline Aaron

• Technicians
  • Board Veteran
    • Willis & Co
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 12:58:03 PM »
and as you've pointed out especially for the cost.

Offline Stephen

• Board Veteran
    • Banbridge Academy Online
  • Speciality: Black Neck sixth Dan - No Kan Do
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »
I think he has it on a logrithmic scale so a quarter of a head turn actually moves the screen 90 degrees but smaller head turns during combat does not move the screen as far.
One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.
Carl Jung