Author Topic: Windows Update on C2k  (Read 231 times)

Outlaw27, Belfast_Tech, Coxy, casper, Tferguson200 and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Stephen

• Board Veteran
    • Banbridge Academy Online
  • Speciality: Black Neck sixth Dan - No Kan Do
Windows Update on C2k
« on: April 27, 2021, 11:17:58 AM »
So apparently all our drivers for Interwrite boards will need updated by C2k will not be putting them on the system.

See EN179

FAO Principal and C2k Managers

Dear Principal

The Education version of Windows 10 follows Microsoft’s Modern Lifecycle Policy.  This means that it is essential to update the version of Windows 10 on all C2k devices in order to remain supported by Microsoft and to continue to receive security and quality updates.

The current version of Windows 10 expires in May 2021.  As such, a programme of work is now underway to update all schools from the current Windows 10 version 1803 to Windows 10 version 1909.  In addition, in order to move to version 1909, it is also necessary to update the default browser on the C2k network from IE11 to Google Chrome.  Further communications will be issued to inform schools when these upgrades will take place.

Important:
While the majority of recently released products and services will be unaffected, the release of newer versions of Windows 10 can affect compatibility with older peripheral devices and services.  These may include devices such as interactive whiteboards, printers, cameras and other forms of hardware for which the manufacturers no longer provide suitable drivers.

Where encountered, the issues may include loss of peripheral device connectivity, functionality and C2k desktop/laptop instability.  In some cases impact may be minimal, but in other cases it may render either the peripheral, or the computer it is connected to, unusable.

It is recommended that schools carry out an audit of existing peripheral devices to check if updated drivers are available to help maintain compatibility with Windows 10 v 1909.  Where possible, these should be installed in advance of the update being deployed.

Where peripheral devices cause stability issues with a C2k desktop or laptop, they must be disconnected from the device.
Some manufacturers provide information and assistance on their websites regarding connecting their device to Windows 10 1909 systems. It will be the schools responsibility to apply any configurations recommended by a device manufacturer.

Note: Peripheral devices are not supported or managed as part of the C2k service.

Known issues
With regards to Windows 10 version 1909, we have been made aware that a number of Promethean Interactive Whiteboards that are now out of manufacturer warranty and support will no longer work with a C2k desktops/laptops and these will crash with a blue screen when these Promethean boards are connected:
�.      Generation 1 and Generation 2
  �.      Series 100, Series 300, Series 500

In order to assist schools with this, a Sway has been created with further information on steps schools may take to address these issues.  The Sway will be updated with further information when this becomes available.

The Sway is available at the following link:

https://eus-www.sway-cdn.com/sway/v1.0/vYGvBnbviqdbVOjS/thumbnailImage?imageId=NFx8frwGWgat23&width=600&height=180&isPreview=false
[/t][/t] 

[/color]Windows 10 1909 - Known Issues and Assistance[/size][/url][/font]
[/t] 
  [size=0pt][/color]The Education version of Windows 10 follows Microsoft’s Modern Lifecycle Policy.  This means that it is essential to update the version of Windows 10 on all C2k devices in order to remain s…[/size]
 [/t] 

[/color]Go to this Sway[/size][/url][/font]
[/t][/t]       
This information has also been published in a new information sheet, EN179 - Issues arising from Windows 10 upgrades.

We hope this information is helpful, but if you have any queries, or require further information, please contact the C2k Service Desk on 08000 931 541.

C2k Implementation & Communications

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 11:21:14 AM by Stephen »
One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.
Carl Jung

Online casper

• Administrator
  • Board Veteran
    • http://www.niaviation.co.uk
Re: Windows Update on C2k
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 11:28:24 AM »
Looks like Promethean have provided firmware upgrades that fix the issue. But looks like the firmware update will have to be done before the the windows update - be difficult to do after the update if it produces a crash.
Northern Ireland Aviation Forum and Gallery
Aviation Photos
I don't think you're stupid, I think what you do is stupid.

Online Belfast_Tech

• Technician
  • Board Veteran
  • Speciality: ICT Technician (T3)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 11:30:22 AM »
Yes just noticed that about Interwrite too - nicely hidden within the Sway document.

I'm assuming we got to contact IMEX for Interwrite 10 software?  That's awful good of them to delete that package, but not offer the alternative!

Online Stephen

• Board Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 12:13:45 PM »
You have to pay for version 10 that is why it is not offered.
One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.
Carl Jung

Online cully4299

• Technicians
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 12:17:50 PM »
Looks like Promethean have provided firmware upgrades that fix the issue. But looks like the firmware update will have to be done before the the windows update - be difficult to do after the update if it produces a crash.

Where abouts did you find this ?
PICNIC

Online casper

• Administrator
  • Board Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 12:20:27 PM »
Aviation Photos

Online cully4299

• Technicians
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 12:22:43 PM »
Thanks
Trying to figure out which model we have.  Think it's gen 2s
AB2-01
PICNIC

Offline Paul

• Board Veteran
  • triumph daytona 675 rider
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 01:57:20 PM »
how much is the interwrite 10 software?

Online casper

• Administrator
  • Board Veteran
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 03:16:12 PM »
The current version of Windows 10 expires in May 2021. As such, towards the end of April, the version in all schools will be updated from Win 10 v.1803 to Win 10 v.1909.
I'm so glad this only came to light today so Capita could give us 3 days notice ffs
Aviation Photos

Online zyber

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 03:21:01 PM »
11th of May is the day current version expires

zyber

Online casper

• Administrator
  • Board Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 03:25:42 PM »
11th of May is the day current version expires
Yeah but all C2k devices are being updated by the end of this week, according to the email.
Aviation Photos

Online Belfast_Tech

• Technician
  • Board Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 12:06:23 PM »
Yes just noticed that about Interwrite too - nicely hidden within the Sway document.

I'm assuming we got to contact IMEX for Interwrite 10 software?  That's awful good of them to delete that package, but not offer the alternative!

I just tested this on my own laptop - Windows 10 Pro version 20H2. 

Workspace 9 installs perfectly, and shows up perfectly in system tray / their own device manager.  Apparently this is where the issue was  :-X :-X :-X :-X The IWB shows up no problem, and allows full interaction.

I think their testing may need to be revisited  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 12:27:17 PM by Belfast_Tech »

Online Stephen

• Board Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 01:13:08 PM »
I was looking at it as if it was a fault in the IWB device manager. So I deleted the IWB device manager from a c2k machine (c:\Program Files (x86)\eInstruction and remove the folder Device Manager). I installed the new version of the whiteboard software onto my machine and then copied the Device Manager folder over to the first machine.

Hopefully if this works if it does I could xcopy the folder over to all the teacher machines.
Carl Jung

Online Belfast_Tech

• Technician
  • Board Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 11:09:12 AM »
Sway document now updated, potentially following my feedback from testing.

To fix the interwrite driver issue:
1. Remove Device manager (turning technologies) via Add / Remove programs
2. Re-comply the interwrite compliancy task - it will re-install device manager
3. Board now works again - including device manager re-opening in system tray / tool bar

Hopefully now means they will keep Workspace 9.5

Online cully4299

• Technicians
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 11:50:28 AM »
Hopefully it works
Was able to get the gen 2 boards firmware updated and a new version of the driver and software installed and working so fingers crossed it still works after update
PICNIC