General > General Discussion

Catalogue purchased ownership

(1/3) > >>

zyber:
Hi

Who owns the laptops purchased through the catalogue? I have been asked to return all the catalogue purchased laptops along with the core laptops?

zyber

Belfast_Tech:
From previous experience catalogue PCs are owned by the school but only managed for a period of time - however I note now it's saying managed until end of the C2K contract.

Therefore after a period of time they stop being supported by C2K - but they shouldn't be asking for them back at this stage unless the support has ended for them - in which case you probably could still retain them for your own purposes.

Check with your C2K local officer

zyber:
Hi

I have been told this

Unfortunately you won’t be able to hold onto any old equipment for the following reasons:-

•   Age,  they are too slow and not fit for purpose
•   Schools , MLAs, and other organisations have contacted C2k to complain about the age of devices in schools
•   The devices are outside of warranty status
•   HP and DELL no longer provide support for these devices
•   These devices have been replaced in the primary refresh (the Dell Vostro’s primary only) and the Teacher devices (HP 450 and HP 612) by the Microsoft Surfaces
•   Licences have been transferred to the new devices
•   The disposal by C2k \ Capita will be GDPR compliant and remove the risk from schools

zyber

Belfast_Tech:
Interesting... paving the way I reckon for Win 11 in the not so distant future

Marky_Gee:

--- Quote from: zyber on May 19, 2022, 09:45:26 AM ---Hi

I have been told this

Unfortunately you won’t be able to hold onto any old equipment for the following reasons:-

•   Age,  they are too slow and not fit for purpose
•   Schools , MLAs, and other organisations have contacted C2k to complain about the age of devices in schools
•   The devices are outside of warranty status
•   HP and DELL no longer provide support for these devices
•   These devices have been replaced in the primary refresh (the Dell Vostro’s primary only) and the Teacher devices (HP 450 and HP 612) by the Microsoft Surfaces
•   Licences have been transferred to the new devices
•   The disposal by C2k \ Capita will be GDPR compliant and remove the risk from schools

zyber

--- End quote ---

We had families through the lockdown who were using laptops 10+ years old... If they can't be kept on the network, I don't see any reason why we can't stick a new SSD in with either W10 or ChromeOS, then give them out instead of being destroyed. They can dispose of their HDD if they want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version